Volunteer Opportunities at OTCES
Whether you’re interested in learning more about the field of occupational therapy or just enjoy being around children and families, OTCES offers a variety of volunteer experiences to meet your needs.
The volunteer experience at JMU’s Occupational Therapy Clinical Education Services (OTCES) provides a range of opportunities that may include clerical and organizational duties, participating in special events, creative tasks, child and family interactions, and more. The volunteer’s roles and responsibilities will change based on the needs of the clinic and/or therapists, however we also try to consider what your interests and strengths are. In order to get to know you better and determine the best fit for all parties, we generally have all volunteers start by helping with general administrative responsibilities at the clinic which may include answering phones, greeting families when they arrive, organizing/cleaning equipment and supplies, etc. Sometimes there are opportunities for working on tasks that will be used in direct or group sessions, video-taping sessions, or participating in these sessions, however this may not always be the case.
In addition to getting required volunteer hours, volunteering at the clinic provides you with a great opportunity to network with other pre-OT students, currently enrolled OT students, OT faculty, OTCES staff and students/faculty from other departments or programs (i.e. Psychology, Communication Science Disorders-Speech).
This volunteer experience also provides you with an opportunity to develop and expand the professional dispositions necessary for participation in a professional education program, such as an MOT program, and future employment in the occupational therapy profession.
As a volunteer you can contribute to the mission and vision of OTCES to provide high quality services to the community while gaining insight into pediatric occupational therapy and becoming more familiar with the operations of a facility that provides these services.
Please be advised of the following volunteer application deadlines:
|Summer & Fall 2019||FULL|
|Spring 2020||Applications for Spring ‘20 will be accepted between: 11/11/2019 - 11/15/2019|
If you are interested in volunteering with OTCES, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org more information.
Please be advised of the following:
- There may be an in-person interview required after we have received all applications and the window is closed.
- No applications will be accepted after the window closing date, please do not email or call to ask for exceptions.
- A reference letter is REQUIRED. Please see link below to apply and attach a reference letter.
- Volunteers must be able to commit at least two hours per week for a minimum of one full semester. Volunteer hours can be counted toward service/volunteer requirements.
- There is no parking available at the clinic for volunteers. There is parking nearby the clinic in JMU parking lots if you have a JMU parking permit. If you do not have a JMU parking permit, you are responsible to find alternative transportation to your shift.
How to Submit an Application:
Please complete the application link below.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions/concerns.
We look forward to working with you!